Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Finding Inspiration - Vimeo Shorts

UPDATED! Check out the bottom.

Writing a story...is not easy. Apparently. So I am finding out the hard way.

As most of you film (and other related) majors would know, story is key to any movie you make.
Some studios have mastered the art of storytelling, and spend years developing it before a single line is recorded or a frame is shot.
So before ramping up production, you need to have your story ironed out, and ready to go. Although creativity is in our blood -- sometimes coming up with an inkling of a remotely decent idea is pretty tough.

SO, how does one find inspiration?

Its all over the place. Vimeo is my favorite watering hole for inspiration. Take this video for example. Not a SINGLE WORD is said, and yet a day later I'm still thinking about it. The film maker took something so simple, and fleshed out a story from it. A love story that you wish would work! Everyone fantasizes about having a great love story that "beat all the odds".




Definitely up there as one of my favorite shorts now. A great story will stay in your mind for hours if not days after seeing it. Not to mention, look at the range captured with just music and expressions alone - brilliant.

While I have a ton I can say about story I'm going to save that for another post, another day. There's just too much to say and so little time for me today. Not to mention I have a few books I need to knock out of the way before I start plastering the interest of my opinion. Having said that I will be dropping more goodies soon; I plan on writing and animating a short film for my thesis and want you all to be apart of the process, but more on that later!!

But what do you think? Whats story to you?
Where do you find your inspiration!

I'd love to know, feel free to share in the comment section or on facebook.
Thanks for reading.

P.S. Check out more of Ted Chung's work on vimeo!! He is a brilliant filmmaker and definitely a name to look out for in the future.

Update: I saw this online, Ryan Woodward is an incredible animator/storyboard artist/innovator (truly is). He said this once in an interview:

What is your advice on finding inspiration?
-Invest your passion on personal projects. It softens the blow when losing creative moments you’re proud of at work
-Get your goals done. Do or die.
-Don’t force inspiration, be prepared for it. And DO SOMETHING about it when it comes- Even if you fail, at least you tried!

No comments:

Post a Comment